Anyone can experience lower back pain from acute injuries or chronic spine-related conditions. Whatever the cause, there are a variety of alternative treatments available at Natural Life Chiropractic to help ease the pain and get you moving again. Dr. Monte Hinze, our Omaha chiropractor, focuses on treating the root cause of pain. He typically utilizes a mixture of non-drug techniques and therapies that work synergistically to provide long-term relief.
Lower Back Pain Causes
As it turns out, the remarkably engineered, strong, and flexible lower back is susceptible to injury and pain. If it's not an accident or sports injury, it's a fall, or degenerative disc disease taking its toll on the spinal joints, bones, or intervertebral discs. In other cases, pain stems from muscle strains, ligament sprains, inflammation, nerve compression, and vertebral subluxations. A chiropractor can help treat these and the following chronic low back pain conditions:
- Lumbar spinal arthritis
- Lumbar herniated or bulging disc
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- Piriformis syndrome
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal column)
Other causes include compression fractures, poor posture, foot arch problems, obesity, prolonged sitting, and twisting the spine when lifting heavy objects.
Common Low Back Pain Symptoms
Patients typically complain of a dull, sharp, stabbing, burning, or disabling pain that sometimes spread to the hips, buttocks, legs, or feet. Whether the pain is acute, chronic, intermittent, or persistent, it can interfere with movement. Joint stiffness, numbness, tingling, or muscle weakness may occur in the case of sciatica or compression of the nerve root in the lumbar spine.
Lower Back Pain Diagnosis and Treatment by Our Omaha Chiropractor
A range of motion test, spinal x-ray, neurologic exam, and other tests are routinely done to diagnose back pain. A CT scan or MRI can also help us identify misalignments or abnormalities with the soft tissues. We will tailor your chiropractic care plan to address your underlying problem. Patients respond well to the following non-invasive methods designed to eliminate pain, remove nervous system interference, and increase mobility:
- Spinal adjustments: Gentle hand or instrument-based thrusts are applied to the lower spine to correct subluxations and take the pressure off the spinal discs and nerves.
- Spinal decompression therapy (DTS): The advanced, non-surgical treatment involves the use of traction therapy to lengthen the spine and reposition herniated discs to their rightful place between the vertebrae.
- Adjunct therapies: You may also benefit from massage therapy, chiropractic physiotherapy, or spinal rejuvenation therapy, all designed to maximize pain relief and strengthen the lower back.
Life Shouldn't Be a Pain!
Our wellness team at Natural Life Chiropractic is committed to helping you recover fast and resume the activities you enjoy. Call 402-505-4148 to schedule an appointment at our Omaha, NE, practice. Remember to ask Dr. Hinze how routine chiropractic treatment helps to prevent pain and improve your overall health.